General English Language Resources
Knowledge of the intricacies of the English language is essential if you are a proofreader. But it can be quite interesting too! So, here are some useful books and resources to help you develop your general English language knowledge.
You might be a veteran proofreader wanting to expand your repertoire or someone who is just starting out in their freelance career. The resources below are designed to help you whatever stage you’re at.
- The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way, by Bill Bryson
- Troublesome Words, 2nd edition, by Bill Bryson
- The Prodigal Tongue: The Love–Hate Relationship between British and American English by Lynne Murphy
- Playing with Words: Humour in the English Language by Barry J. Blake
- Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults upon Our Language by Richard Lederer
Online Language Resources
Some of these resources are less concerned with linguistic technicalities and more to do with encouraging a curiosity about the English language. Nevertheless, they are valuable if you wish to develop your interests and knowledge.